I found out about the keto diet after I listened to a podcast with Gary Taubes in January 2017. After reading and listening to everything I could about the keto diet (including finding websites like ruled.me), I was all in! Here’s the thing: at 43 years old, I found myself baffled as to why I couldn’t lose weight and keep it off. Like most people, I had tried everything.
Well, after 1 full year of living a predominately LCHF diet, I’ve lost 40 lbs (and kept it off!), no longer suffer from inflammation of my joints (play competitive basketball 3-4 days per week), and have more energy than I did in my 30’s. I’m not perfect and have definitely had some struggles, but it is now a way of life and can’t wait to be the young 50 year old out there on the basketball court!
1. What tactics did you employ to help you get to your goal? What did you find helped you get to your goals best?
Having keto-friendly food on hand was the #1 tactic that helped me stay on track. If I wasn’t 2 steps ahead of my cravings I would be sure to fail. Tracking my macros using MyPlate was the biggest help to getting to my goals.
2. What is the most impactful change you’ve made to your diet and why do you feel it’s been the most important?
Intermittent fasting. I never went more than 4 or 5 hours without eating…and now I can go 12-16 hours and still not feel like I’m starving. When I fast, it clears my head and helps me focus.
3. What is the best single piece of advice you can give to someone that is just starting out?
Track your macros diligently when you first start, but know that you probably won’t have to do it forever! Once you get use to living a LCHF lifestyle, it’s easier to stay on track.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you’re at your goal?
I feel 10x better at 44 than I did at 34, but the best thing is that I know it’s something I can stay with for the rest of my life!
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your day-to-day life?
Skipping breakfast! A cup or two of coffee with butter and MCT oil and I’m ready to take on the day.
6. What did you do to find support throughout your journey?
I looked for like-minded people in my community, scoured the internet for resources, and ignored the detractors.
7. What do you currently do to manage your day-to-day diet?
Meal prep my lunch and make sure I’m stocked up with keto-friendly foods.
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that’s become a staple?
Spicy Sausage Dip! I make it every week and use it as gravy on eggs, bacon, and sausage.
9. If there is one thing that you could do differently during your journey, what would it be and why?
Cut down on “cheat” days. It’s never worth it and I can instantly feel the effects.