This casserole dish whisks eggs up with fresh basil, fresh mozzarella balls, and tomatoes quickly simmered in olive oil. It’s a caprese turned into breakfast! This recipe is a simple option, that’s no fuss, and a bit of a spin on the typical American breakfast casserole.
First you need to chop up the tomatoes and cook them down a bit in olive oil. Then the casserole is put together and baked in the oven till perfection. The mozzarella balls melt down into the egg, the tomatoes add a touch of summery brightness. Serve with additional fresh basil.
Yields 8 servings of Caprese Egg Casserole
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups (300g) cherry tomatoes
- 8 large eggs
- 13 grams fresh basil
- 4 ounces fresh mozzarella balls
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Chop the cherry tomatoes into halves or quarters. Fry up in a skillet with the olive oil until the tomatoes have softened somewhat.
2. Set the cooked tomatoes and the liquid from the pan aside, so everything can cool.
3. Add the eggs to a mixing bowl.
4. Chop up the fresh basil then add that to the eggs. Add salt and pepper.
5. Whisk the eggs together until the yolks and whites are well combined.
6. Pour the eggs into a greased casserole dish. Add the cooked tomatoes.
7. Add the fresh mozzarella balls.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs have completely set in the middle of the dish.
This makes a total of 8 servings of Caprese Egg Casserole. Each serving comes out to be 151 Calories, 11.38g Fats, 1.68g Net Carbs, and 9.8g Protein.
|Caprese Egg Casserole||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|2 tablespoons olive oil||239||27||0||0||0||0|
|2 cups (300g) cherry tomatoes||54||0.6||11.59||3.6||7.99||2.62|
|8 large eggs||572||38.04||2.88||0||2.88||50.24|
|13 grams fresh basil||3||0.08||0.34||0.2||0.14||0.41|
|4 ounces fresh mozzarella balls||340||25.34||2.48||0||2.48||25.14|