Low carb and gluten free, this almond roll with pumpkin cream cheese filling is a spin everyone’s fall favorite – pumpkin spice! The cake is modeled after joconde, a foam-based sponge made with almond flour and whole eggs. To make the cake lighter, this recipe calls for just the egg whites. Note that because of the absence of gluten, the cake will be prone to cracking when rolling — patience and a bit of filling shmeared on the outside will cover up any imperfections!
The pumpkin cream cheese is divine, smooth and almost melts-in-your-mouth. It adds a holiday taste to cakes, keto bagels, or perhaps even a spoonful in your coffee?
Yields 12 servings of almond roll with pumpkin cream cheese filling
For the Cake
- 125 grams egg whites
- 112 grams powdered erythritol/stevia blend, divided
- 112 grams almond flour
- 3 grams pure almond extract **
For the Pumpkin Filling
- 260 grams cream cheese, softened but cool
- 60 grams salted butter, softened
- 50 grams powdered erythritol/stevia blend
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 170 grams pumpkin puree
* If you love to make hollandaise sauce (the best thing about keto!), save your egg whites in a mason jar in the refrigerator to use for sponge cakes like this.
** May be found online.
For the Cake
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. In a mixing bowl, add egg whites and 56 g sweetener.
3. Using a whisk attachment, whip to medium stiff peaks. Stop when the meringue holds its shape.
4. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 56 g sweetener, almond flour, and flavoring.
5. Whisk to combine until homogenous.
6. In three additions, gently fold in the dry mixture into the egg whites. Use the biggest rubber spatula you have, this ensures less frequent folding thus keeping the air in the sponge intact.
7. Evenly spread the batter on a grease and parchment (or baking foil) lined quarter sheet tray, approx 9” X 13” jelly roll pan.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Invert onto a parchment lined wire rack to cool.
For the Pumpkin Filling
1. In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
2. Add the sweetener. Continue until fluffy and light.
3. Add vanilla paste and pumpkin spice. Beat until well incorporated.
4. In two intervals, add the pumpkin puree, scraping the bowl in between addition.
5. Add the butter and beat until the mixture comes together. Your filling should be smooth and light. Adjust the sweetness with more some liquid stevia, to taste.
6. Refrigerate until ready to use. Make sure to re-whip (by hand is fine) until fluffy before using.
1. Evenly spread the filling over the sponge.
2. Gently roll to form into a log, using the parchment to lift the cake. I find that rolling the cake from the shorter side yields a thicker roll and less cracking. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
This makes 12 servings of almond roll with pumpkin cream cheese filling. Each serving comes out to be 179.5 Calories, 16.24g Fats, 3.54g Net Carbs, and 4.76g Protein.
|Almond Roll with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Filling||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|125 grams egg whites||65||0.21||0.91||0||0.91||13.62|
|162 grams powdered erythritol/stevia blend||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|112 grams almond flour||640||56||24||12||12||24|
|3 grams pure almond extract||9||0||0.38||0||0.38||0|
|260 grams cream cheese||910||89.54||14.35||0||14.35||15.99|
|60 grams salted butter||430||48.67||0.04||0||0.04||0.51|
|1 teaspoon pure vanilla bean paste||17||0||3||0||3||0|
|2 teaspoons pumpkin spice||12||0.43||2.36||0.5||1.86||0.2|
|170 grams pumpkin puree||71||0||15.59||5.6||9.99||2.84|