A casserole is a classic dish from our childhood. This recipe revamps the ingredients to make a lighter and healthier yet creamy version. This one is sure to stick in your weekday favorites!
Chicken is a protein that tastes fantastic in any dish. The addition of chicken thighs in this casserole ups the protein factor and works well with the lighter, more subtle tasting vegetables—mushrooms and asparagus. The recipe calls for skinless chicken thighs, but feel free to leave the skin on based on your taste preferences or if you are not strict on fat intake.
Asparagus pairs well with chicken and boasts an impressive nutritional profile. It’s loaded with fiber, nutrients, and vitamins A and C while also being low in calories, making it a perfect veggie option if you’re looking to lose (or maintain) weight.
Add in some creamy goodness with heavy cream, cream cheese, greek yogurt, and a generous portion of cheddar and gruyere cheese. Yogurt and cheese are rich in beneficial fats, which are essential for a healthy, balanced diet. Dairy products also contain lots of calcium which helps keep our bones and teeth strong.
As a bonus, get that golden, cheesy top by sprinkling extra cheese on top of the casserole before putting it in the oven. Nothing beats a warm and hearty meal at the end of the day, but this casserole also freezes and keeps well, making it a great lunchtime meal option for the day after.
Yields 4 servings of Keto Creamy Chicken Asparagus Casserole
- 16 ounce boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 6 ounce cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 10 ounce asparagus spears, chopped into 1″ pieces
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup full-fat plain greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese
- 1/3 cup cheddar cheese
1. Measure out and prepare all the ingredients.
2. In a frying pan, add half the olive oil and the diced chicken to the pan. Cook the chicken until internal temperature reaches 165F then remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add the other half of the olive oil along with the onion and minced garlic.
4. Then, add in the cremini mushrooms and asparagus pieces. Stir to combine well.
5. Sautee on low to medium heat for 2 – 4 minutes.
6. Put the cooked chicken back into the pan with the chicken broth, heavy cream, and almond milk. Stir to combine well. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
7. Put the cream cheese into the pan and stir to combine well. Cook for 1 minute or so.
8. Remove the pan from heat.
9. Add in the greek yogurt and stir well. Add in the gruyere cheese and cheddar cheese. Stir well to combine.
10. Place in the oven to broil until the cheese has just melted.
11. Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!
This makes a total of 4 servings of Keto Creamy Chicken Asparagus Casserole. Each serving comes out to be 540 calories, 42.6g fat, 7g net carbs, and 33.5g protein.
|16.00 ounce boneless, skinless chicken thighs||649||40.5||0||0||0.0||76.9|
|0.00 none salt and pepper||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2.00 tablespoon olive oil||239||27||0.0||0.0||0.0||0.0|
|0.50 medium yellow onion||21||0.1||4.8||0.7||4.1||0.6|
|2.00 teaspoon fresh garlic||8||0||1.9||0.1||1.8||0.4|
|6.00 ounce cremini mushrooms||48||0.2||7||1||6||4.3|
|10.00 ounce asparagus spears||57||0.3||11||6||5.1||6.2|
|0.50 cup chicken broth||7||0.3||0.6||0||0.6||0.8|
|0.50 cup heavy cream||405||42.8||3.2||0||3.2||3.3|
|0.50 cup unsweetened almond milk||14||1.3||0.6||0.4||0.2||0.6|
|2.00 ounce cream cheese||194||19.3||2.3||0||2.3||3.5|
|0.50 cup full-fat plain greek yogurt||108||5.7||3.4||0||3.4||10.2|
|0.50 cup gruyere cheese||248||19.4||0.2||0||0.2||17.9|
|0.33 cup cheddar cheese||163||13.5||1.3||0||1.3||9.3|
|Per Serving (/4)||540||42.6||9.1||2||7||33.5|