There comes a time in everyone’s ketogenic life where you crave something sweet. Cookies, brownies, cake – but there’s nothing that you’ve pre-made and nothing that is low carb laying around.
In under 5 minutes you can have a chocolate cake that’s rich, delicious, and sure to slam those cravings straight into the ground. Cake in a mug! Chocolate cake in a mug, that is. Absolutely divine in taste, just like you spent 45 minutes slaving away baking it in the oven.
I know, I know, you need almond flour. And none of that almond meal, either – only a fine grain almond flour for the soft and non-grainy texture. But it’s worth it, trust me!
I used to make these with protein powder, and the consistency is just nowhere close. The protein powder will give a more rubbery texture, and while it’s still good it’s just not great. The almond flour helps give it that real-cake texture that you’re looking for!
The key to the perfect consistency is the egg. Combined with the absorptive powers of the coconut flour and the rising properties of the almond flour, the egg will coax the cake to rise even higher than you might expect and provide an extremely decadent consistency.
Yields 1 chocolate cake
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ½ tablespoons erythritol
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
1. Measure out 2 Tbsp. butter and put it inside the mug you will be using.
2. Microwave the butter for 20-25 seconds until it mostly melted and hot. Add your sweetener to the melted butter.
Note: You can use any low carb/low glycemic sweetener for this. Read more at: the best low carb sweeteners.
3. Add your 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder to the butter.
5. Don’t forget the egg! It will help the cake rise.
6. Mix the ingredients well, until everything is combined and there’s as little lumps as you can get. If you’re going to make 2 servings, this is the point where you would measure the batter out into 2 mugs or 2 ramekins.
7. Microwave the cake for 60-75 seconds. It takes 75 seconds in my microwave. If you are making 2 servings, probably 50-60 seconds would do the best – I never make 2 servings because I’m greedy 🙂
8. While you’re waiting for the cake to cook, whip some cream in a mixing bowl. (Optional)
I do this by using an immersion blender – very quick, easy, and tasty but it will produce stiff peaked whipped cream (and to some it may be over whipped). Pour enough whipping cream into a container to cover the immersion blender blades. Blend for 20-40 seconds until you reach the consistency you want.
9. Let the cake cool for a moment and spoon on the whipped cream. (Optional)
Per chocolate mug cake: 405 Calories, 36.94 Fats, 5.86g Net Carbs, and 12.31g Protein.
|Keto Chocolate Cake in a Mug||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 large egg||72||4.75||0.36||0||0.36||6.28|
|2 tablespoons salted butter||204||23.04||0.02||0||0.02||0.24|
|2 tablespoons almond flour||80||7||3||1.5||1.5||3|
|2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder||25||1.48||6.25||4||2.25||2.12|
|1 ½ tablespoons erythritol||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|2 teaspoons coconut flour||20||0.67||2.66||1.7||0.96||0.67|
|¼ teaspoon vanilla extract||3||0||0.13||0||0.13||0|
|½ teaspoon baking powder||1||0||0.64||0||0.64||0|