Cornbread is a great accompaniment to soups and stews in the winter months. This version uses almond flour and golden flaxseed meal to mimic the hearty texture of cornbread while keeping the carbs low. The addition of sharp cheddar cheese and jalapenos is a twist on traditional recipes but adds great flavor and just a touch of heat. It also makes a perfect side dish for a summer barbecue.
I grate my own cheese straight from a large block. Pre-shredded cheese can be used as well, but many brands add starch to keep the shreds from sticking together. Depending on how much is used this can rack up a lot of hidden carbs. Grating your own takes just a few extra minutes and ensures avoiding any unwanted fillers.
The heat from jalapenos primarily comes from the seeds and membranes inside the pepper. Removing them when chopping keeps the smoky pepper flavor but reduces the spiciness. Be careful when handling any type of pepper, and make sure to wear gloves or wash hands thoroughly before touching skin or eyes.
I add a bit of OOO Flavors Cornbread (Use coupon RULEDME for 15% off) to this recipe as well. It’s a totally optional ingredient and the mini loaves taste great without it, but the flavoring adds an authentic corn flavor that most low-carb recipes lack. The flavoring is a bit pricey, but a little goes a long way and will last a long time in your pantry.
Finally this recipe is written to make 8 mini loaves and the nutrition information is calculated accordingly. They can also be made using a 12 cup muffin pan instead, just reduce the cooking time to about 15-18 minutes and check for doneness before removing from the oven.
Yields 8 servings of Jalapeno Cornbread
- ½ cup sour cream, full fat
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 10 drops liquid stevia
- 1 teaspoon OOO Flavors Cornbread (Use coupon RULEDME for 15% off)
- ½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 fresh jalapenos, seeded and membranes removed*
*1 finely diced pepper and 1 cut into rings for garnish
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F degrees. Prepare a mini loaf pan (8 loaves) by spraying with cooking spray or greasing with butter to prevent sticking.
2. In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients including the almond flour, golden flaxseed meal, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate medium sized bowl whisk together the wet ingredients. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together then fold the diced pepper and grated cheddar cheese into the batter.
4. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared loaf pan. Top each loaf with a pepper ring to garnish.
5. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the loaves start to turn golden brown.
6. Cool the loaves in the pan for about 5 minutes and then remove to a wire rack to finish.
This makes a total of 8 servings of Keto Jalapeno Cornbread. Each serving comes out to be 300 Calories, 26.8g Fats,2.5g Net Carbs, and 11.2g Protein.
|Keto Jalapeno Cornbread||Calories||Fats(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein(g)|
|1 ½ cups almond flour||959||84||26||18||8||36|
|½ cup golden flaxseed meal||280||24||16||16||0||12|
|2 teaspoons baking powder||5||0||2.55||0||2.55||0|
|½ cup full fat sour cream||228||22.25||5.32||0||5.32||2.81|
|4 tablespoons melted butter||407||46.07||0.03||0||0.03||0.48|
|4 large eggs||286||19.02||1.44||0||1.44||25.12|
|10 drops liquid stevia||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1 teaspoon Amoretti sweet corn extract||1||0||0||0||0||0|
|½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese||228||18.82||1.75||0||1.75||12.92|
|2 fresh jalapenos (28 g)||8||0.1||1.82||0.8||1.02||0.25|