Combining the ketogenic diet with weight lifting workouts is one of the most effective ways to achieve your body composition goals — especially if you want to gain muscle as you burn fat.
All you have to do is implement these five principles:
- Train hard enough to give your muscles the stimulus to grow. The best way to do this for ketogenic dieters is by following a 5×5 workout program with a mixture of compound and isolated exercises.
- Consume enough protein to fuel your body and build muscle. Ideally, this means consuming around 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight.
- Eat the right amount of calories to achieve your ideal body composition. Use our keto calculator to find out what this means for you.
- Optimize your hormones by following a sleep, meditation, and workout schedule.
- Drink plenty of water with unprocessed salt every day.
These five principles are all you need to get the best results. However, if you want to boost your results even further, there are plenty of keto-friendly supplements you can take.
To learn about the science of building muscle in more detail with specific suggestions and supplements that apply to you, check out our comprehensive guide to bodybuilding on the ketogenic diet.