Keto dieting is not bad for the thyroid.
With that being said, it is possible for some people to experience thyroid issues as a result of limiting carbs, restricting calories, and/or exercising more than usual. If you are feeling fatigued, depressed, and struggling to concentrate, then your diet and lifestyle changes may be causing hypothyroidism.
To remedy the issue, try implementing one of the strategies below that is relevant to your situation:
- Increase your calorie consumption until you are at a smaller calorie deficit (a 20-30% calorie deficit is a good place to be if you are overweight or obese).
- Add more carbs to your diet until the negative symptoms disappear.
- Decrease your workout volume or intensity until you feel more energized throughout the day.
Other suggestions that can help thyroid health are:
- Consuming plenty of thyroid nourishing nutrients like iodine, tyrosine, vitamin A, selenium, zinc, B vitamins, vitamin C, and vitamin E.
- Lowering your stress levels with adequate sleep, meditation, and/or low-intensity exercise.