This recipe takes a timeless breakfast classic and gives it a paleo-friendly, ketogenic upgrade: juicy, sizzling hot bacon and pan-fried onion meet beautifully browned and flavorsome hashed cauliflower. This meal brings you all the body and texture of a traditional hash, minus the carb-heavy potato—not to mention the added bonus of some extra healthy nutrients!
There’s nothing better than the rich aroma of onions frying in bacon fat in the morning. But when you’re cutting out the carbs, it can be tricky to find the ingredients to give a breakfast hash its savory foundation. That’s where the cauliflower comes in. This versatile vegetable works great as a potato substitute when diced into small pieces: it fries excellently, soaks up all the rich flavors of the bacon fat, and comes packed with vitamins C and K, calcium, iron, potassium, and magnesium.
For that extra boost, fry up some eggs to lay overtop of your hash. Eggs are a powerhouse of disease-fighting nutrients, cramming high levels of protein, minerals, and healthy fats into a low-calorie package. Not to mention they’re delicious, and your cauliflower hash will soak up that runny yolk for the perfect creamy finish.
Our final tip before we get started is this: don’t skip the spices. Smoked paprika and lemon juice really round out this dish, adding flavorsome savory undertones and cutting through the bacon fat for a subtle hint of freshness. You also don’t have to be limited to breakfasts with this meal: it makes for the perfect satisfying side to a lunch or dinner meal too. Quick and easy to throw together, this one is bound to keep the whole family happy!
Yields 4 servings of Cauliflower & Bacon Hash
- 4 slice bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 12 ounce cauliflower, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 ounce cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 4 large egg
- 2 teaspoon fresh parsley, minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Measure out and prepare all the ingredients. In a frying pan over medium heat, cook the chopped bacon until done to your crispy likeness. Remove bacon from frying pan.
2. With the same skillet, add in the onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant.
3. Add in the chopped cauliflower and let cook for about 2-3 minutes.
4. Season the cauliflower with paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir to season the cauliflower.
5. Add the water to the frying pan. Cover with a lid and let cook for about 5 minutes or until the cauliflower becomes tender.
6. Add the cooked bacon into the frying pan. Season with lemon juice. Stir to combine well.
7. Cover with a lid and let cook for another 2 minutes. Then remove from heat, sprinkle with cheese, cover again, and set aside until the eggs are cooked.
8. In another pan, add the butter and eggs. Fry over medium heat until done.
9. Serve the cauliflower hash with the fried eggs. Garnish with parsley. Enjoy!
This makes a total of 4 servings of Cauliflower & Bacon Hash. Each serving comes out to be 368 calories, 29.3g fat, 4.7g net carbs, and 19.7g protein.
|4.00 slice bacon||597||52.3||0||0||0||29.9|
|1.00 medium onion||38||0.1||8.8||1.6||7.2||1.3|
|1.00 teaspoon fresh garlic||4||0||0.9||0.1||0.9||0.2|
|12.00 ounce cauliflower||78||1.7||14||7.8||6.1||6.1|
|0.50 teaspoon smoked paprika||3||0.2||0.6||0.4||0.2||0.2|
|2.00 tablespoon water||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|1.00 tablespoon lemon juice||3||0||0.9||0.1||0.8||0.1|
|2.00 ounce cheddar cheese||229||18.9||1.8||0||1.8||13|
|2.00 tablespoon butter||203||23||0.0||0||0.0||0.2|
|4.00 large egg||315||20.9||1.6||0||1.6||27.6|
|2.00 teaspoon fresh parsley||1||0||0.2||0.1||0.1||0.1|
|0.00 none salt and pepper||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving (/4)||368||29.3||7.2||2.5||4.7||19.7|