I loved my old King Ranch Chicken recipe and have been trying to convert it to keto ever since I’ve been on this way of eating. I knew when I came up with a good tortilla recipe the rest would fall into place. Now that I have that tortilla recipe, I am happy to say I now have the keto version of King Ranch Chicken! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
Makes 12 servings of Keto King Ranch Chicken
- 3 cups chicken (or turkey), cut up in bite sized pieces*
- 1 cup turkey or chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 1-2 Tbs butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 Tbs red chile powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 4 oz can of chopped green chile
- 6 oz of red salsa
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup yogurt or sour cream
- 16 oz grated cheese (I used creamy Jack)
- 6-7 homemade tortillas (or low carb tortillas of choice)
*You can use raw chicken or already cooked chicken
1.Cut up chicken into bite sized pieces if using raw. Dice onion and bell pepper.
2.Remove from pan and set aside. Melt additional 1 Tbs of butter or coconut oil and cook bell pepper and onion on medium low until soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add spices to pan. Mix them well with onions and peppers and cook for approximately 3 minutes, stirring constantly. You want to release the fragrance of the spices and have people wander into the kitchen and ask what smells so delicious. Be careful not to burn them.
4. Add the cup of broth (I used homemade turkey) and stir it until you’ve loosened up all the pieces of spice on the bottom of the pan.
5. Add cream, chile, and salsa, mixing well.
6. Cover and cook over medium low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. At the end of 15 minutes, very carefully remove 1 1/2 cups of the hot mixture and put into an emulsion beaker or blender. (PLEASE use caution here!)
7. Using caution, blend mixture until thickened. If using stick blender, keep blender in the bottom of the beaker to avoid being burned. Carefully pour blended mixture back into pan.
8. Stir well and then add yogurt.
9. After mixing yogurt in well, add meat. Here I am actually using some chicken I cooked and some leftover turkey.
10. Mix meat into sauce and gather sauce, tortillas, and cheese. Preheat oven to 350o.
11. In a 9×13 baking dish, begin by layering sauce/meat mixture. Just put enough to wet the bottom of the pan.
12. Place whole tortillas in bottom (do not overlap), then tear another tortilla and fit it in around the empty spots.
13. Ladle half the sauce/meat mixture on top of the tortillas.
14. Evenly spread 1/2 of the cheese over the sauce/meat mixture.
15. Repeat for second layer, layering tortillas, then sauce, and ending with remaining cheese mixture. It’s ready for the oven!
16. Bake at 350o for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
17. Serve and enjoy! May be topped with additional sour cream.
This makes 12 servings and each serving has: 351 Calories, 19g Fat, 9g Carbs, 5g Net Carbs, 18g Protein
|Keto King Ranch Chicken||Calories||Fat (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|3 cups chicken||693||15||0||0||0||129|
|1 cup broth||45||0||3||0||3||9|
|2 Tsp butter||28||22||0||0||0||0|
|1/2 small onion||14||0||3.5||0.5||3||0.5|
|1 red bell pepper||37||0||7||2||5||1|
|4 oz green chile||20||0||4||2||2||0|
|6 oz red salsa||80||0||18||0||18||0|
|1/2 cup heavy cream||410.5||44||3.5||0||3.5||2.5|
|1/3 cup yogurt||97.5||8.25||3.75||0||3.75||3|
|16 oz Jack cheese||1760||64||0||0||0||56|
|1 Tbsp chili powder||24||1||4||3||1||1|
|1 tsp cumin||7||0||1||0||1||0|
|1 tsp garlic salt||9||0||2||0||2||0|
|7 homemade tortillas||984.2||78.4||63||44.8||18.2||12.6|
This dish is a little high on the carb side, but one serving is very filling.
I only used 6 1/2 tortillas, so actual macros are slightly lower.
If you are using pre-cooked chicken, you can deduct the additional 1 Tbs butter from macros.