I know plenty of people out there love a good burger and want to skip the bun…but we’re all tired of burger patties and salads. It’s just not the same, until now!
Next time you are grilling up some patties, use the perfect low carb hamburger pun – a portobello mushroom! Now you can enjoy that burger bun 100% carb free 🙂
Have vegetarians over? Not a problem! Use only the portobello bun and server that as a patty. Pile the fixin’s high and let them chomp away.
This recipe is courtesy of reddit/r/ketorecipes.
- 2 Portobello Mushroom Caps
- 1/2 Tbsp. Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Tsp. Oregano
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Delicious Burger Patty
- 6 Oz. Organic, Grassfed Beef or Bison
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese
1. Preheat your griddle to high.
2. In a bowl, combine the coconut oil, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper.
3. Clean portobello mushrooms by scraping out the gills. Add portobello caps, brush to coat, and let them marinade until ready to grill the meat.
4. In a separate bowl, combine ground beef, dijon, salt, pepper, and cheese.
5. Form meat mixture into a rounded patty.
6. Place “buns” on grill and let them cook for about 8 minutes or until heated through.
7. Add burger to the grill and cook for 5 minutes per side(medium rare).
8. Remove portobello caps and burger from the grill.
9. Wrap that sweet burger between your two mushroom buns, and lay on the fixin’s. Sugar free ketchup, onion, arugula, tomato – whatever you like! These are great served with our fried mac and cheese.
If you need lower macros on this one, it’s really easy. Just get smaller portobello caps, and use less meat. Switch to chicken or turkey, and make some sliders instead!
|Burger on Portobello Buns||Calories||Fat(g)||Carbs(g)||Fiber(g)||Net Carbs(g)||Protein (g)|
|2 Portobello Mushroom Caps||70||2||6||4||2||8|
|1/2 Tbsp. Coconut Oil||60||7||0||0||0||0|
|1 Garlic clove||5||0||1||0||1||0|
|6 Oz. Beef||470||30||0||0||0||46|
|1 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard||20||0||0||0||0||0|
|1/4 Cup Cheddar Cheese||110||9||1||0||1||6|