Keto and casseroles seem to go hand in hand when you think about the type of high-fat foods that are being included. All of the cheeses you’re able to use create an ooey, gooey texture that everyone can enjoy. Whether you’re a working mom, a college student, or you just want an easy meal – this casserole will get the job done!
This is my Southwestern-esque take on Shepherd’s Pie. It’s got a great heat coming through from the chili seasoning, a good balance of acidity and sweetness from the tomatoes, and plenty of cheese to boot. The cauliflower on top just adds a layer of fluffy goodness that lightens up what might be considered a heavy dish.
One tip to make things go a little quicker is to pre-cook the cauliflower when you start browning the chicken. It will still be warm enough to melt the cheese into the cauliflower, and will save on 5-6 minutes of down time while you’re cooking. This way, you can have everything ready in just about 30 minutes.
Yields 6 servings of Nacho Chicken Casserole
- 1.75 lbs. Chicken Thighs, boneless skinless
- 1 1/2 tsp. Chili seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 4 oz. Cream Cheese
- 4 oz. Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Green Chilies and Tomatoes
- 3 tbsp. Parmesan Cheese (~45g)
- 1/4 cup Sour Cream
- 16 oz. package Frozen Cauliflower
- 1 medium Jalapeno Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 375F. Using kitchen shears, chop chicken into bite-size chunks. Season chicken with salt, pepper, and chili seasoning.
2. Over medium-high heat, cook chicken in olive oil until browned on all sides.
3. Add cream cheese, sour cream and 3/4 of the cheddar cheese to the chicken, then stir together until melted and mixed. Add tomatoes and green chili and mix well.
4. In a casserole dish, add chicken mixture from the pan.
5. Microwave frozen cauliflower until cooked through. Use an immersion blender to blend with remaining cheese into a mashed potato-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Cut a jalapeno into chunks. Spread cauliflower mixture over the top of the casserole, then sprinkle jalapeno pepper over the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until some color is on the top and the jalapenos are cooked.
7. Slice and serve. Some fresh chopped cilantro tastes great over the top!
This makes a total of 6 servings of Nacho Chicken Casserole. Each serving comes out to be 426 Calories, 32.2g Fats, 4.3g Net Carbs, and 30.8g Protein.
|Nacho Chicken Casserole||Calories||Fats (g)||Carbs (g)||Fiber (g)||Net Carbs (g)||Protein (g)|
|1.75 lbs. Chicken Thighs, boneless/skinless||1134||71||0||0||0||135|
|1 1/2 tsp. Chili Seasoning||15||1||3||1||2||1|
|2 tbsp. Olive Oil||240||28||0||0||0||0|
|4 oz. Cream Cheese||400||40||4||0||4||8|
|4 oz. Cheddar Cheese||460||38||2||0||2||27|
|1 cup Green Chilies and Tomatoes||50||0||10||2||8||2|
|45g Parmesan Cheese||63||4||1||0||1||4|
|1/4 cup Sour Cream||120||10||2||0||2||2|
|1 packet Frozen Cauliflower||68||1||13||7||6||6|
|1 medium Jalapeno Pepper||2||0||0.5||0||0.5||0|
|Salt and Pepper to Taste||4||0||0||0||0||0|
|Per Serving ( /6 )||426.0||32.2||5.9||1.7||4.3||30.8|